This lasagne meat recipe is also my spaghetti bolognaise sauce.
- 750 grams Beef mince. OR mix of beef and pork
- 1 box Dry pasta sheets
- 1 sliced Onion, large
- 1/4 cup Tomato paste
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 1/2 tins Crushed or chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (approx) Oregano
- 1 teaspoon (approx) Mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoon (approx) Basil
- Double batch White sauce (See recipe file)
- 1/2 cup Grated cheese
- In a large pan brown mince in the olive oil. When mostly done add onion and garlic.
- Add tomato paste to a cleared portion of the bottom of the pan, just for a bit ( this intensifies the tomato flavour) then mix in well.
- Add all herbs, sugar and balsamic vinegar.
- Add tinned tomatoes, mix and pop on a lid to simmer for a bit. Take off lid for about 10 mins.
- While meat is simmering make up your double batch of what sauce. Grate your cheese.
- Put a very thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom of your lasagne dish (this is so your bottom pasta comes out of your dish when serving). Lay in first row of pasta, layer with meat sauce and the white sauce. Pasta, meat sauce, white sauce. Pasta. Hopefully you still have 1/3 to 1/4 of your white sauce left. Spread this on the top layer of pasta covering all edges and corners. Sprinkle on grated cheese and any of the herbs listed above.
- Bake in a 180*C oven for about 90 mins. Serve with a Greek or tossed salad and garlic bread.
Yes you can use fresh pasta sheets, the baking time will be lessened. Read your packet instructions. Use wholemeal pasta sheets, believe me when it's cooked no one notices You can use ricotta cheese instead of the white sauce. I've used ricotta in the layering and white sauce on the top layer. Do one layer of meat and one layer of vegetables. Use both layers with vegetables. I've been known to throw the dregs of my fridges vegetable bin into the meat mix, no one notices. You can freeze the half portion of tinned tomatoes you don't use for another time. I use this meat mix for spaghetti bolognaise using 2 whole tins of tomatoes. Freeze left over lasagne. Make up the meat sauce, divide into 3 or 4 zip loc bags and freeze. Spaghetti sauce for meals in a hurry. I've added cooked diced potatoes and carrots to this meat mix and made meat pies. Use the sauce for a great easy pizza topping, add mushrooms or feta cheese sprinkle with grated cheese. Play with the proportions and ingredients to your hearts content, it's a very forgiving recipe.