No refined sugar and very little fat
Date and Maple Muffins
- 1 Cup Boiling water
- 1 Cup Chopped dates
- 2 Cups Wholemeal plain flour
- 1/2 Cup Dessicated coconut
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Bi carbonate of soda
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil Or vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts Optional
- Preheat oven to 170*C
- Boil jug/kettle for water. Chop dates to measure 1 cup. In a bowl soak dates in water.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, coconut, baking powder, bi-carb and stir with a whisk. Add walnuts here if using.
- In a bowl add egg, milk, maple syrup and oil. Whisk briskly.
- Add dates and water to the flour bowl then fold in the milk and egg. Do not over mix.
- Into a well greased and floured muffin tray add spoonfuls of the batter. Bake for a pprox 15-18 minutes. When a skewer comes out clean the muffins are ready. Pop out and cool on a wire rack.
I used extra chopped dates to pop on top these weren't measured. As seen in picture I divided the mix to make 1 small loaf in a tin approx 10 X 20cm in size. It took about 25 minutes to cook through, use your skewer. I used silicone cupcake molds with a little spray in the bottom so they popped out easily. As there is not much fat in this recipe the paper liners tend to stick but if you wish give them a try. I put the egg, milk, syrup and oil in a shaker cup to mix it easily. Maple syrup if you have the $$ buy the good stuff it tastes so much better. Could you make with white flour possibly but I'd try half white and half wholemeal first to see how it turns out and go from there. I've not tried white flour for this. Could you use honey, probably but honey is a stronger flavour than maple syrup so may taste a little different. I've not tried honey for this.