Tomato Beef Casserole
One pot dinner
- 500 g Cubed beef
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- 2 tomato cans Water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Apricot chicken sachet Mine was Maggi
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Carrots, cut chunky
- 2-3 Potatoes cut in quarters
- Vegetables of choice
- On the stove top brown beef in a little olive oil, add onion and carrot and stir for a minute or 2.
- Turn down heat to half. Pour in tomatoes, water, worcestershire sauce, sugar and potatoes.
- Sprinkle over the apricot chicken sachet stirring to make sure there are no lumps.
- Preheated oven 170*C. Cover and casserole in the oven for approx 90 mins.
- After 90 mins take out and stir, add a bit more water if you think you need it. (the apricot chicken sachet will thicken the sauce). Add either frozen or fresh vegetables, mine were broccoli and cauliflower. Cover and bake for another 30 mins or until veg are tender.
- I served with mashed potato.
Yes you can freeze but I'd suggest when defrosting to put in the fridge over night or during the day. Pop into an oven proof dish and reheat until just heated through to avoid over cooking the veg. Don't put the potato in the dish and serve with mashed potatoes. Can you do in the crockpot or slowcooker, probably but I've not tried it that way yet. My non stick stainless steel pot for the stove is oven proof, the dish was taken from stove top to oven.