Portuguese Custard tarts
- 1 sheet Frozen puff pastry
- Previously prepared custard Store bought if you wish
- Icing sugar To sift on top
- Preheat oven to 200*C. Thaw pastry sheet and cut into rounds to fit your tartlet tray (I use a scone cutter)
- Spray oil your tartlet tray and pop the pastry rounds in. You will need to blind bake your pastry cases first. Cut out some baking paper squares and place on top of the pastry. On top of the baking paper pop in the blind baking beads or raw rice is a good alternative. The pastry will rise regardless don't worry about it. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cooked.
- Turn your griller (broiler?) on to 2/3 heat. Bring tray out of the oven, take off your beads or rice. Push down the pastry with the back of a teaspoon to make the tartlet hollow shape again. Loosen all the pastry cases in the tray.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with prepared custard. Dust with icing sugar and pop under the griller to brown the tops of the custard and the edges of the pastry. Be careful not to burn. Cool, dust with a little more icing sugar and serve. Store in the fridge for a couple of days best eaten same day.
This is actually a very easy recipe I hope I've not made it sound harder than it really is. Depends on the size of your pastry sheet as to how many you can cut out and how big your tartlet tray is. These are a nice 2 or 3 bite dessert or snack.