Using custard powder.Using custard powder.
Easy vanilla custard
- 600 millilitres Milk
- 2 tablespoons Custard powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Caster sugar
- Mix caster sugar, custard powder and about 4 -6 tablespoons of measured milk and mix well to a thinnish paste.
- Add all the sugar and powder mix to the rest of the milk and mix well.
- For microwave cooking -- Cook for 2 mins on high the first time, take out and stir or whisk. Check you're mixing the bottom around. Keep cooking in 1 minute increments and stirring until custard is boiling but not overflowing your bowl. Usually 3-5 times/minutes depends on the wattage of your microwave. Serve hot or cold.
- For stove top cooking -- Pour milk mix into a saucepan stirring until the mix has thickened and gently boiled on a medium heat. Being careful not to burn on the bottom of the pot. Serve hot or cold.
This is not like store bought custard it is a little thicker so if you like runny custard of course add more milk. It also will thicken a little more when cold. Add more sugar if you wish a sweeter custard.