Oaty chocolate chip biscuits
- 1/2 cup Butter or margerine
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Wholemeal plain flour
- 1/2 cup Quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon Bi carbonate soda
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup Mixed choc chips
- Measure in a bowl the flour, quick oats, salt and bi carb soda.
- With a mix master beat sugars and butter. Slow down mixer, adding the vanilla and egg.
- Add the flour to the butter and sugar mix in a couple of batches until mixed in. Add in the choc chips and give a quick stir by hand.
- Preheat oven to 160-170*C. Roll mixture into balls and place on a lined baking tray. Flatten with a wet fork. Bake for approx 12-15 mins. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Yes you can freeze the dough. Yes you can freeze the cooked biscuits. Yes you can use white flour or half and half flours. Make your own quick oats by blitzing normal oats in your food processor until they are as you like. Use any chips you like, mine were dark choc, white and some colour coated chocolate bits I found in the pantry.
Had a crack at these today. Nice easy biscuit recipe. My mix was too wet to roll into balls, probably because I used less sugar. No complaints from the gang.
I’ve found playing with the sugar content in some recipes is a bit hit and miss, some work wonderfully, some don’t. Do you think the dough would be a bit firmer if you put in some extra oats or flour maybe? How much less sugar did you use?
I used only 1/4 cup caster sugar. I just used spoons to put mixture on trays. I have other biscuit recipes that I have to do this as well. They baked fine. Mine were soft biscuits, is that right?
Mine were crisp … and that may come back to the sugar. I honestly don’t know. Thanks for letting me know.