This is was cooked in a slow cooker/crockpot but can also be made in a saucepan.
Measured with an average kitchen teaspoon.
- 1 Cup Red lentils (dried)
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Crushed Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Grated ginger
- 1-2 Teaspoons Curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 270 ml millilitres Coconut milk (can)
- 500 Millilitres Chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 400g Cans crushed tomatoes
- In a pan on medium heat add oil, turmeric, curry powder and stir, add in onion, garlic and ginger and stir until onion is coated in spices. Turn off heat and stir in coconut milk.
- In your crockpot bowl add chicken stock and crushed tomatoes, stir. Add the coconut milk and spices from the pan and stir.
- Lastly add lentils to the crockpot bowl and stir. Place lid on top.
- Turn your crockpot on to low for about 5-6 hours or high for less. I know you're not supposed to lift the lid on a crockpot but you will probably need to stir it after the first 2 hours and each hour after as it sticks to the sides a little. You will need to adjust cooking times because it depends on how soft you like your lentils and how thick you want your dahl to be. I served with greek yoghurt.