- 1/2 Drum cabbage Or cabbage of choice.
- 1 meduim Carrot
- 2 Shallots or spring onion 1/4 a spannish/salad or brown onion,
- 1 Red apple
- 1 Celery stick
- Couple of sprigs of chopped parsley
- Ground pepper
- 2 rounded tablespoons Mayonaise
- 5-6 tablespoons Milk
- 1-2 teaspoons Sugar
- Thinly slice cabbage or slice on a mandolin slicer. Cut those slices in halves or thirds, depends on how small you like your cabbage. Do it in batches. Put in a bowl.
- Chop your apple (leave a couple of slices for top decoration), thinly slice your celery and shallots and grate your carrot. Add all ingredients excluding the dressing ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients, mayo, milk and sugar. I put in a baby food jar, seal and shake. Alternatively put in a small bowl and mix with a spoon or fork.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients in the bowl mix well. Add only a bit of the dressing at a time, you can add more but you can't take it out. Decorate with extra apple and serve.
I leave the peel on my apple I like the red in the salad. Use a store bought dressing if you wish. This dressing mix is sweet enough for us but it may not be for others, add more of each ingredient until you are happy with the outcome. Taste it. Less milk if you like a thicker dressing and more milk if you don't. Add sliced or chopped capsicum. With the apple included this sweetens the cabbage so you use less sugar in your dressing. Mix your cabbages. If you are taking out or wish to serve later in the day prepare it all excluding the apple, chop when needed add to salad, then add the dressing.