Definitely not a dieter’s cake, but I only make this cake at Christmas time.
I double this recipe, make as muffins and give as gifts.
No fruit peel as I’m not a fan of that stuff but dried apricots, apples and such.
Chocolate Christmas fruit cake
- 500 grams Mixed dried fruit of your choice
- 1/2 cup Rum or brandy
- 250 grams Unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 200 grams Dark chocolate
- 4 Eggs
- 1 3/4 cup Plain flour
- 1 teas Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Soak the chopped mixed dried fruit in the rum or brandy over night or as long as possible. (I do 2 weeks-ish).
- On day of baking grease and the line base and sides of 1 x 23cm round cake pan OR 2 x 16cm round cake pans. Pre heat oven to 150*C.
- Add chopped butter to a large pot on low heat, then add the sugar mixing until all melted. Take off the heat to add the broken chocolate pieces, stir until melted. Add fruit and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled add beaten eggs 1 at a time to the chocolate mix.
- Fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and nutmeg. Make sure all is mixed in properly.
- Bake in the prepared 1 cake tin for 2 - 2 1/2 hours OR 2 cake tins for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Test with a skewer to be sure. Cool in tin. Turn out onto a wire rack. Decorate when it's time to serve.
- I make in muffin, cupcake or rectangle muffin loaf trays and they take approx 30-35 mins to bake. Flaked almonds on top is optional.