Apple strawberry cake
- 1.5 cups Plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Caster sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter or margarine
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Apples
- 8 -10 Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup Plain flour
- 1/3 cup Caster sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon Cinnamon or mixed spice
- Beat butter and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs 1 at a time, mix well (it may look like it's split but nothing to worry about).
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Add half the flour to the batter mix, add all the milk, then the rest of the flour and stir well together. Pour into a lined cake tin.
- Peel and core your apples, wash and hull your strawberries. Chop 1 apple and slice the other. Mix the chopped apple into the cake batter. Cut your strawberries in half.
- Mix all your topping ingredients together, fingers are best. Randomly scatter your strawberries and the sliced apple on the top of your cake.
- Place chunks of the cinnamon topping mix on and around the apple and strawberries on top of your cake batter, you may or may not use it all.
- Place into a preheated 175*C oven for 40-45 mins (mine was 42mins). When cooked cool for about 10 mins in the cake tin to set the topping. Turn out and cool fully.
This is lovely served warm after turning out from the tin, with ice cream. Use all apple if you wish. Use apple and blueberries or apple and rhubarb. Bake in a slice tray and cut into squares. I don't mix strawberries into the batter as I find they make do go a bit mushy. This is a cake to best eaten on the day due to the strawberries but will keep better with the other fruits. This is a good basic batter to do this type of dessert cake. Yes you can freeze but it does depend on the fruit used. Not all fruits defrost nicely. Add some oats, coconut and chopped almonds to the topping mix to make more like a crumble.