- 350 grams Condensed milk
- 250 gram Plain sweet biscuits (marie etc)
- 1 cup Sultanans or raisins
- 1/2 cup Rum
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Almond meal (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup Dessicated coconut
- Pour rum onto sultanas or raisins and soak as long as possible (overnight is good a week is so much better)
- In a food processor blitz the plain biscuits. Add the cocoa and almond meal if using. Tip into a bowl.
- Into the food processor add 1/2 condensed milk and soaked sultanas, blitz. Add the rest of the condensed milk until blended. Pour the biscuit mix back into the processor and blitz until all is well mixed. It will be very sticky. If you feel it is way to sticky for your liking add another tablespoon or 2 of almond meal or a couple more crushed biscuits.
- Roll into balls and coat in coconut OR as an alternative roll in almond meal OR dip in melted chocolate. Refrigerate until set. Store in fridge.
They are rum balls they are made with rum (I use Bundaberg). The longer the fruit sits in the rum the better, I like to leave at least a week or more I also tend to add more rum until it won't soak any more liquid into my fruit and I leave it for weeks. Non alcoholic I'd choose apple juice over night but remember as there is no alcohol they will not have the same shelf life, but you can still freeze and pull out a few as you need them. The tackiness of the mix will depend on how much fruit and rum you put in, (I like mine well soaked) and to be honest I soak a lot of fruit in one bowl for my christmas cooking and most times wing it when dividing. Play with the recipe and write your notes for future reference. To use the whole can of condensed milk add a few (?) more biscuits to the blitz mix. Yes they are freezable, do they need to be with rum as the preservative not sure, but it also doesn't hurt.