Red velvet cupcakes
- 3 cups Self raising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups Caster sugar (scant)
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon White vinegar
- 1 cup Very hot water
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Red food colouring (scant)
- Sift flour and cocoa into a bowl add sugar and salt then whisk.
- In another bowl mix oil, vanilla, milk, eggs, red colouring and vinegar. Add this to the flour bowl mix then add very hot water and mix again to a batter.
- Spoon cake batter into cupcake or muffin pans with or without papers. Pop in a preheated 175*C oven for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
- Ice if you wish or dust with icing sugar.
Yes you can freeze. Yes you can make in 2 round cake tins or loaf tins. I usually dust with icing sugar but occasionally I make a creamy cream cheese topping. Creamy cream cheese topping is about 100 grams of cream cheese mixed with about 200g of whipping cream a touch of lemon juice and a little icing sugar if you need the sweetness. This can be piped on top or as a dollop on the side. Also great with many other cakes and brownies. No real recipe I make it up as I go along.