My version of monkey bread.My version of monkey bread.
Cinnamon and sugar scones
- 2 cups Self raising flour
- 3 tablespoons Butter or Marg
- 1 Egg
- 1 teas Caster sugar
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon*
- 1/3 cup Butter or margarine
- In a food processor blitz flour, teaspoon of sugar and cold butter. OR Rub with fingers to crumbs.
- Crack the egg into your measuring jug and measure to 1 cup with milk. Add milk to the flour mix and blitz until just mixed. If mixing by hand stir in with a knife.
- Roughly pat your dough into a ball then divide into 8 or 9 pieces.
- Melt the 1/3 cup of butter/ margarine in a shallow bowl. Mix the 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Take each piece of dough, dip and cover in the melted butter then dip into the sugar and cinnamon mix. Place covered ball into your baking dish stacking side by side touching. I use a cast iron pan.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in a preheated 200*C oven. Turnout onto a wire rack and let cool. Break apart and eat as is or broken in half with butter.
These are great still warm, the sugar and butter make for a nice sweet crusty edge. Smaller dough balls for a bigger sugar cinnamon hit or larger to have with butter more like a traditional scone. Stack the dough balls for a more traditional monkey bread. Play with it and see what best suits you. Use mixed spices instead of cinnamon. Yes you can freeze.