Weet-Bix Date Loaf
- 1 Cup Chopped dates
- 4 Biscuits Weet Bix
- 1 Cup Sugar (Caster or Raw)
- 1 Teaspoon Bi carbonate soda
- 4 Tablespoons Margerine or butter
- 1 Cup Self raising flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking powder
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Cup Boiling water
- 1 Medium Egg
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 180*C.
- In a large bowl crush/crumble weet bix then add your chopped dates, sugar, bi carb and give a bit of a stir.
- Add butter and boiling water to the bowl then let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- While the weet bix are sitting mix baking powder and salt to flour. Lightly beat your egg in a cup.
- When your 5 minutes are up add the flour, walnuts and egg to your weet bix bowl and fold in, don't over mix.
- Pour mix into a lined loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once checked with a skewer to see if it's cooked take out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before taking out of the tin to cool further on a wire rack.
This can also be baked in a slice tray (28 x18cm) for about 25-30 minutes with a skewer check. Could also be served warm with ice cream and caramel sauce for dessert. Nice sliced as is or with butter. I've frozen this and defrosted at room temp for 20-30 mins.