Tomato crockpot/casserole base.
- 410g can Tinned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 dessertspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mixed herbs
- Cracked pepper
- Place tomatoes, bbq sauce and worcestershire in a blender or bullet and blitz until well mixed.
- Pour over your meat diced or whole piece (about a kilogram or so) and crock or casserole as per usual.
- Taste the gravy then add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- If you feel the sauce is not thick enough add a little cornflour and water blended, stir and cook for another 15 minutes until thickened to your liking.
I personally don't bother with thickening with cornflour as once its over vegetables for us it spreads nice and it's great with mashed potato. If you do want a thicker sauce coat your meat in seasoned flour and pan fry before pouring the sauce over. Any leftover gravy pop in a labelled container and freeze for those times you like just a little tomato gravy with a steak or sausages. Of course you can add an onion and other bits and bobs to the recipe as this is only a place to start and much cheaper than the store bought mixes.