Sweet Batter Rolls
I love the fact there is no kneading for this recipe.
- 4 1/2 cups Flour
- 3 tablespoons Caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 7 grams Dried yeast
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 1/4 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Margerine
- 1 Beaten egg
- Combine approx 2/3 of the flour with sugar, salt and yeast in your mixer with your dough hook.
- Heat milk, butter and water till warm and butter melted. Can use the microwave, just don't over heat the ingredients, tepid is what you're after.
- Add warmed liquid and egg to the mixed flour bowl.
- Beat with mixer on low for 3 minutes, slowly adding the rest of flour to form a stiff batter.
- Cover loosely and let rise approx 30 minutes. Grease muffin pans (no paper liners the dough will stick).
- Stir down batter to remove bubbles. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Cover loosely and let rise until doubled again. About 25-30 minutes.
- Bake at 200*C for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Tap on top for a hollow sound.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Lovely eaten fresh with butter.
Can freeze these when cool. The original recipe had 6 tablespoons of sugar, for us 3 tablespoons is enough. I spray oil plastic wrap to loosely lay over top while rising. You can add sultanas or raisins with spices to the dough mix. * Make half plain half with fruit. You could leave out all but 1 teaspoon of sugar and add herbs for a savoury dinner roll. You can ice the cooked bun. Original recipe found at alicias recipes, my photo is used.