This is a microwave OR stove top recipe these instructions will be for the microwave
but just substitute stove top and saucepan for bowl and microwave.
Always keep an eye on it.
- 75 grams Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Fresh lemon juice -2 lge Lemons
- 1 1/4 cups Caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest -3 Lemons
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour
- 2 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Tap water
- Microwave instructions.
- Combine sugar, butter, fresh lemon juice and zest in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high (mine is 1000w) 1 minute and stir, microwave 1 minute and stir, take out
- Whisk eggs and cornflour then gradually whisk in the water.
- Pour the egg mix into the lemon whisking all the time.
- Microwave uncovered for 4 - 6 minutes stirring at least every 2 minutes but keep an eye on it I found after 4 mins increments of 1 minute was good. Let it boil but don't let it boil over.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal while hot. Store in a cool dry place or the fridge for up to 2 months.
- *Sterilise jars - I use the boiling jars and lids in a very large pot for 15 minutes method using tongs to take jars out of pot. Careful taking out the lids. I used recycled jars from my cupboard. I filled the jars and screwed on the lids tightly and briefly turned upside down to push the air out then turned upright, 1 jar had a little leakage I used it first, the other didn't.
This recipe has a beautiful tang it's from my CWA cookbook. I used a fine grate for the zest. The lemon curd as a base for the bottom of a pudding is nice. We had this for dessert with ice cream the other night. It can be drizzled randomly over the top of a vanilla cake/cupcakes before baking. Lovely spread on toast, pancakes or scones and even better with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. A dollop on vanilla ice cream is also nice.