Usually Raspberry jam slice but you can use any flavour of jam.Usually Raspberry jam slice but you can use any flavour of jam.
Jam and Coconut Slice
- 60 grams Butter or margerine
- 1/4 cup Caster sugar
- 1 small Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups Self raising flour
- - SLICE Topping
- 1/2 cup Jam (approx)
- 1 cup Coconut
- 2/3 cup Caster sugar
- 1 Egg
- Beat butter and sugar to a cream.
- Add egg and beat well. Add Vanilla and mix in..
- Add flour to the butter mix to make a dough.
- Press evenly into a lined slice tray (28x18cm)
- Spread thinly with jam of your choice.
- To make topping.
- Beat the egg then mix in coconut and sugar. Sprinkle the mix as best as you can evenly over the jam.
- Bake in a preheated 180*C oven for approx 20 minutes or until nicely brown on top.
- Cool slightly before cutting into squares to pop on a wire cooling rack.
The dough can be made with a mix master or by hand. Any jam will do. This when baked can be frozen in an air tight container. The dough can be rolled and this can be made as tartlets. I find with tartlets you don't always use all the coconut. You can also make as free form on an open baking tray, just cut and square up your rolled out dough and bake as above. This will actually give you more than 12 pieces as you tend to roll the dough a bit thinner, but don't go too thin. Also watch your jam doesn't escape. The picture I have for this recipe is free formed. I tried this once with frozen berries and jam, as I didn't look in the pantry I had about a tablespoon of jam left. Beware of frozen berries and their moisture content, it makes the coconut not set as well on the underside. I'd do it again but drain the berries better. You live and learn 🙂 I have done any and all of the above.