For potatoes that don’t fall apart when steamed or boiled.
Crumbed potato scallops
- 3 Med- Large Potatoes
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Plain floour
- 1-2 Cups Bread crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Oil Approximately.
- Herbs Optional
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1cm slices. Carefully place in a steamer and steam until just cooked. Do not over cook. Place on paper towel and let cool and potatoes to dry off moisture.
- Place flour on one plate, add herbs if using and mix.
- Mix egg with a tablespoon of milk/water (optional) into a shallow dish.
- Place bread crumbs into 3rd dish. Keep breadcrumbs close in case you need more.
- Flour each piece of potato (making sure your dust off excess), dip in egg and them crumb placing onto a plate until all are done.
- Heat oil in pan to fry until golden brown. You can also cook in a deep fryer in which case you will need more oil cooking in batches as needed. Drain on paper towel. Serve hot.
I used panko crumbs but finer crumbs will also work. There is no reason you can't boil the potatoes just be careful when cooking they don't fall apart. Cut into wedges instead of slices so they are able to be dipped in sour cream or sweet chilli sauce. Cut into fingers like chips. Try it with sweet potato. I usually empty the excess oil out of the pan and cook off the leftover egg from crumbing as it has all the flavours in the pan cooked into it.