Chocolate cake sandwiches with butter cream
- 1 cup Plain flour
- 1/3 cup Caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Melted butter
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Greek/plain yoghurt Opt. or milk or orange juice
- Butter cream
- 1/4 cup Icing sugar
- 1 cup Margerine/butter, softened
- Touch of vanilla essence
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix milk, egg and yoghurt (or orange juice or extra milk any will work instead)
- Pop the butter/margerine in an oven proof dish and put into the microwave until only just melted.
- Pour the milk mix and the butter into the flour bowl and mix until combined, don't over mix.
- Use a very shallow muffin pan or don't fill very high a normal muffin pan with the cake mixture, you only need about a tablespoon or so in each we don't want it to rise or dome to much.
- In a pre heated 170*C oven cook for about 8 minutes. In a preheated oven they cook really quickly like biscuits.
- Once cooked pop the flattish cakes out onto a wire rack to cool. This mix made 16 cakes so 8 sandwiches for me.
- Add icing sugar to the softened butter and mix in increments, you may need more or less icing sugar than the recipe states, make it to a thick paste.
- Spread the butter cream on the underside of a cake and sandwich with another until all are done. Add sprinkles on top if you wish. Serve. Keep in fridge to keep the butter set.
Yes these will freeze well, The butter takes longest to defrost when you take them out to eat. Any leftover butter cream add some cinnamon and spread on fruit toast or bread. I used the really shallow cake pans (1cm deep) for the sandwiches in the picture. If you want smaller cakes use a cupcake pan and a teaspoon or 2 in the bottom to make the cake. Make 2 larger ones if you wish and adjust the baking time. Use ice cream for the middle instead of the butter icing.