… but it doesn’t have to be dessert.
Caramel dessert cake
- 2 cups Self raising flour
- 100 grams Softened butter or margerine
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Caster sugar (I measured 1 cup then removed a tabsp or 2)
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tin Caramel pie filling
- Put all ingredients into the mix master bowl, mix on low then 3/4 speed for 2 minutes.
- Spread cake batter in a lined lamington tray aprox (33x23cm). Blob on enough caramel so that when you cut into squares, each square has a bit of caramel on top but don't don't cover the whole top, you may not use all of the tin.
- Bake in a preheated 180*C oven for about 20-25 minutes. Let almost cool in the cake tin before turning out so that the caramel is set on top. Cut into squares or fingers and serve as is, with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
As an alternative to caramel pie filling use chocolate pie filling. Yes this does freeze with the caramel or chocolate filling, cut into squares first. Use pie apple instead of the choc or caramel filling but I would not freeze. Use pineapple tart filling instead of the choc or caramel on top. Possibly freeze but I have not done this.