Easy vegetable bake
- Broccoli. florets
- Cauliflower. florets
- Carrot. chunks
- Potato. cut 1/8's
- 1 Amount Basic white sauce. see notes link
- 1/2 Cup Grated tasty cheese.
- 3 Tablespoons Bread crumbs. dried
- Optional Parsley. chopped
- Pre heat oven 180*C
- Steam or boil the vegetables until al dente, only just on the cusp of cooked.
- While vegetables are cooking make basic white sauce.
- Gently fold white sauce into the vegetables then pour all into an oven proof dish. Push vegetables around so that you get a varied mix in each spot and it appears nice and colourful with the vegetables.
- Mix the bread crumbs and cheese together with optional parsley (or herbs of your choice) and sprinkle on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until cheese is all melted and browned on top. Serve.
This is my basic white sauce link. Of course you use whatever vegetables your family likes, these are my basic veges with other vegetables being added as the seasons come and go. This can be prepared the day before, covered and stored in the fridge. You will need to bake it longer until it's all heated through. Bigger family, just double the amount of white sauce and vegetables it's a very forgiving recipe. The dish as a whole can be frozen but I prefer to make and eat straight away or to prepare the day before and bake on the day. Note: white sauce can be frozen so if you make a double batch and only use 2/3 of it pop it in an air tight container or ziploc bag (no air) and pop it in the freezer for those moments when you just need a little white sauce to add cheese to so you can pour it on your corned beef, vegetables or ?? When defrosting white sauce it can be left in the fridge overnight or in the microwave, you will need to microwave for short bursts and mix with a fork as you go along, it make look curdled but mixing and heating will fix that.